Monday, May 16, 2005

You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone...


Poster
Originally uploaded by dlew022.
IT'S STAR WARS WEEK HERE ON PETALUMAFILMS BLOG!!!

Unless you live under a rock, you know that the "final" installment of STAR WARS hits theaters this Thursday. Now, if you're not excited you're either:
A) Female
B) A stick-in-the mud
C) Some uber-chic wannabe jackass
or
D) Still living under the aforementioned rock.

I'm excited...in a big way. So much so that I think I have a case of "Sith Fever" set to hit Thursday and I won't be able to come into work.

Now, I know the last 2 STAR WARS films have sucked mightily. They're especially galling to me as a screenwriter because George Lucas does every Screenwriting 101 no-no in both films. If you're Charlie Kaufman or Jean Luc Godard , hey...knock yourself out. Those guys mess with screenwriting in creative and exciting ways. Lucas merely wallows in cliches, hackery, cheese and the worst of all offenses, exposition through dialogue.

Yet I'm still excited and I know millions of people are as well. How do I know this you ask? Because as I got off work I decided to have a little STAR WARS prequel marathon this week. I went to THREE different video stores to wither buy or rent the prequels and all four stores said "Yes, we have no Padme." They also had no Annakin, Jar-Jar or Obi-wan for that matter.

Bag on the films and the die-hard fans all you want but we're never going to see a social/cinematic experience like this again. I'm glad I care enough to enjoy it while it's still here. I mean, sure. I loved the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy and was there for the first screening all three times. But I also know that parts 1 & 2 didn't fly off store shelves the way CLONE WARS and PHANTOM MENACE have as we speak.

Stay tuned for more STAR WARS musings that will take you right up to the release this Thursday. I'm seeing the 12:00 (noon) show at Lucas's favorite theater in Corte Madera, CA.

No comments: