Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Big Premiere



So....I made a short film. Sure, I've made other little movies before but they've all been docs...and one video. Basically, I shoot footage, ask questions and cobble it together into a story. Easy. Sometimes. However my latest adventure is entitled "El Queso's Bad Day" and it makes it's debut tonight at the 35th Annual College of Marin Film festival. There's a photo from it above. I've never had an "actor" and tried to get him or her to do what I want them to do. It was tough! But I learned alot.

1. I learned I have trouble asking for what I want. Well, I already knew that, but the whole experience made me really realize it. I think I sound like an asshole when I ask for things. Sometimes, I do in fact sound like an asshole when I ask for things. Yet, other times I genuinely need something or want someone to do something for me and it's not at all asshole-like to ask for it. Asking strange girls to show you their boobs is not nice. Asking an actor in your film to really go over the top with a facial expression is A-O.K.

2. I learned that if you want to make something good, take your time and get it right. In the case of El Queso's Bad Day" I realized early on that the project was simply to force me to do something. I get so caught up in the process and negating my thoughts or caving into that little creative devil that sits in your ear repeating "you suck you suck you suck everyone hates you you suck you suck you suck everyone hates you you suck you suck everyone hates you" that I usually give in and don't finish what I start. This short film is really not very good, but 99% of people's first films are also not very good. But, I did it. I finished it. It makes sense and some people may laugh. Fuck you devil! YOU SUCK!

3. Editing takes a long ass time, but I genuinely love it! As I said in #2, I get tangled up in the process. I want everything done now and done right. But editing takes time. You have to start with a big ball of clay and cut it down and down and down. It's both meditative, cathartic and enjoyable. For me anyway. It's the epitome of artistic process and when I can stand up from 4 hours of editing and smile at what I've done, it makes me happy.

4. I need to move on and start a new project ASAP. Ideas are over crowding my head and that eventually leads me down the path of talking each one down. I have a really solid, funny, easy idea and I want to start shooting it by next month.

Keep an eye out for El Queso's Bad Day" on my website, Petaluma Films. Off to the big premiere...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which of the FT crew gets to savage it mercilessl...er, review it?

Don@PetalumaFilms.com said...

As I write this, I'm looking over at a box of "movies" Eric sent me to review for FILM THREAT. Although there's been 1 or 2 surprises, most of the movies in that box should never be seen by a film critic of any caliber. My film fits in that category.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the film. I can't wait to see it. Good luck on the next one!