Friday, September 01, 2006

Random



My August has been star-studded and it ended with a bang yesterday, in Calistoga of all places. I rolled into work around Noon and noticed a film crew at the corner store. It felt kind of good to recognize a film crew and say little jargony things to myself. "Oh look, they have some huge C-Stands and a bunch of stingers all in that one outlet...that can't be good." Then I remembered David Fincher (dude who directed SE7EN and other great stuff) has been in and around Napa shooting his new flick on the Zodiac killer. I immediately thought that he could be there and debated on going in to look around. Alas, I had to pee really, really bad and I was starving. So, I decided to push forth into work.

Later, on my way home, I noticed they were still there. I wanted a big ole Coke anyway, so I went in. They were holding people at the door and I'm talking 10-15 people who just got off work. The store is also a cheap gas station so there were some pissed people who just wanted to go home. I felt kinda bad for the PA who was holding people from going in, I've been there. Plus, it seemed bad form to keep filming at the busiest time of the day. I hung out and discovered the film was just some indie job, no David Fincher.

I went in and got my soda and there was the star du jour! John Ratzenberger! Cliff Clavin! Hamm the Piggy Bank! Here he was in Calistoga. I also spotted the director and it brought my Clavin sighting to a dead stop. Here was this typical L.A. hipster douchebag yelling out crap like, "lets strike the lamps over there and take ten. I'm hitting the honey wagon." He had on aviator glasses, a long sleeved cowboy shirt (it was easily 95 degrees yesterday) and mussed up hair. And faded jeans. I mean, come on. Do you really need to look that way in order to be a director? Can't you bring it down a notch when you're in rural wine country?

As I paid for my soda, I remembered every wannabe douchbag I've met at festivals over the years. They all came flooding back. It really annoyed me and I don't know why. I guess I'd just prefer to let the work speak rather than try to look cool.

No comments: