Saturday, February 04, 2006

But I'm trying to be supportive!



So since my usual routine of getting off work and going immediately to Dempseys has been temporarily derailed, I had to find some other things to waste my money on. I was looking forward all week to buying Steven Soderbergh's movie BUBBLE because I really dig him and it's the movie that they're releasing on DVD, in theaters and on PPV, all at once. It's an interesting idea and I support new ways of getting small movies to the people. So on my way to work I stopped at Best Buy, no BUBBLE. The doofus there said it doesn't come out until next month which is BS because you can buy it on Best Buy's website now.

After work I went to a local retailer...Backdoor Music (formerly much cooler and formerly Backdoor Disc and Tape) and my buddy there said that they were supposed to have it, but that the shipment is all screwed up on their (the distribution) end. Fine. F-it. I'll rent it. Incidentally, I did pick up Rockpile's (Jim Edmunds and Nick Lowe) only album, a KILLER retrospective CD of "The Animals" and the new "Cat Power" album, THE GREATEST. Gotta spend that money! Might burn a hole in my pocket.

So I headed into town and to Hollywood video. Long story short, no BUBBLE! What the hell?? How can you spend tons of cash on this distribution model, PR, news shows and then totally shank the release??? I hate shit like that. I ended up renting MILLIONS (FINALLY! And it's amazing!!), RED EYE (excellent!! Great suspense and one of the most economical, taut and solid scripts I've seen in a long time. And Rachel McAdams is amazing) and THUMBSUCKER which I will watch tomorrow. But dammit, I really want to see BUBBLE!! Why they gotta burst mine?

2 comments:

Joe Swanberg said...

You really should send Marc Cuban an email and let him know what's up. His email address is supposedly very attainable and he says he actually reads them.

Don@PetalumaFilms.com said...

Good call! I shall do that now....