Monday, February 13, 2006

Weird Sunday Night

Really, really weird in fact. here's what happened...

I had a class all weekend long. 9-6...Saturday and Sunday. Brutal. However, I didn't have to work today so that was nice. As such, I wanted to finally watch BUBBLE and decided to get some beer to enjoy with the film. I walked down to 7-11 and got some liquid refreshment and some snacks. As I started walking back home (a mere 3 blocks) I crossed the street into a gas station. Sitting there in the middle of the parking lot was this teeny, tiny BMX bike. It was like, 2 and 1/2 feet tall. I looked around and saw no one so I started wheeling it around, checking it out. It had 2 flat tires.

I heard someone across the street and looked up to see this cracked out looking dude in a Cosby sweater. He's just staring at me. I go, "Hey man, is this your bike?" He looks at me and doesn't say anything. Finally he kind of shrugs and says "No." Then he starts to walk away and looks up in a tree next to him, stops and says, "is this your clock?" There was a white clock just sitting in this tree. I say, "nope....not my clock." At that point, I was waiting for David Lynch to cue the dancing midget. Since it didn't come, I started walking home.

It's been super nice here weather wise and last night was no exception. So I decided to sit in the small park next to the church half a block from my house and drink a beer in the cool evening. I sat down at one bench then realized I was facing oncoming traffic and with my luck of late, I was sure a cop would stop and harrass me. So I moved. As I sat there chilling out, I see a guy walking a dog down the street. As he gets closer, I realize he's blind. He walks by where I'm sitting and I immediately wonder if he can sense me there and whether or not I should say hello or something. I admit to feeling awkward around the blind. I mean, is it rude not to say hi or will saying hi scare the living shit out of them because they didn't see you sitting there. He walked away so I just let it go. Then a minute later, he came back.

Again, I didn't want to scare him but as I watched him, his cane got tangled in his dog's leash. He like....stopped, the dog kept going and snagged his cane. Then they did this crazy dance and the dog was like "dude, help me help you. It was sad...yet admittedly comical. I waited for him to get untangled and finally, quietly said "Hi." He said Hi back and asked for directions. I gave them to him and went back to my beer.

Sure enough 5 minutes later a cop pulled up and interrogated me. I told him my wife and I had got into an argument (not entirely untrue) and I just needed to get out of the house for a while. He was extremely nice and commended me for leaving an angry situation. He then made me throw away my beer. I should note here that this happened a scant 10 feet from where I got my ticket for riding a bike without a headlight a few months back. Anyway, he was cool and didn't write me up. I went home and put on BUBBLE...watched 20 mins of it and woke up at 4 a.m.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That 7-11/gas station corner always was pretty skeezy. However, that is a bizarre story.

That is a cute little park/courtyard by the church, though. I am glad someone is enjoying it. Well, beyond the throngs of spanish-speaking church attendees on Sundays.

Don@PetalumaFilms.com said...

It's also evidently the ideal spot to get busted for drinking in public in Petaluma. Perhaps the cops read my blog and were pissed I was falling off the wagon so easily....