Sunday, February 26, 2006

Oscar Spasms



As a fan of film, I dig the Oscars. In my heart I don't think there should be "competition" in art, but the Oscars are fun. I remember being totally into them as a kid and getting totally pissed when something I liked didn't win. I remember CHARIOTS OF FIRE and GAHNDI beat movies I really, really liked (although I can't remember which ones) and I was furious.

We always have a big Oscar party and we chip in $5 and pick the winners. Whoever gets the most wins the pot. But here's the thing....

I start out thinking about my Oscar picks and my first instincts are always the best. Then I start over analysing the whole thing. For instance...BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is going to clean up. It's a fact. BUT...I keep hearing this rumbling that CRASH may sneak in there and take a few things. God, I hope not. But still, I start flip flopping in my mind. I know BBM is a better movie and it's become a cultral phenom. Plus, I hate CRASH. But...everyone loves CRASH. Everyone also loved BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. If I had my druthers, I'd vote for MUNICH because it's the best movie of the year. But it doesn't stand a chance. I learned long ago not to vote with your heart, you're sure to lose if you do that.

And so it begins. I have started psyching myself out and will continue to do so throughout the week. Why do I do this to myself? I should just go write my picks down right now and be done with it. But then my mom will copy them and I'll never win. Ugh.

No comments: