Sunday, June 10, 2007

Where to begin...or end

As you may have noticed, there's a "Cinevegas: Day 1" entry and that's all. That's because I'M IN LAS VEGAS!!! The festival is really, really great but just as exhausting as any other. Thankfully, most screenings don't start until 1:00 p.m. or later which is very considerate of festival programmers Trevor Groth and Mike Plante. However, if you're going to sit in the hotel bar drinking Coors Light until 4:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. comes quickly. I've actually been pretty good with my money and partying after getting hosed that first night. As much as I love this festival, Vegas I can do without. I'll write more on that later.

I've seen some really great films. One was "Choose Connor" and the other was "The Living Wake." "Choose Connor" is about this kid who wants to get into politics and lands a job on the campaign of a congressman trying to upgrade to the senate. Once in the fold this kid finds out just how diabolical and sleazy politics really is. There's much more to it than that but what really blew me away was that the writer director isn't even 21 yet and this film is totally solid.

"The Living Wake" is simply amazing. It's this ridiculous movie about a man who finds out he's going to die that evening. He decides to make ammends with people and invite friends, enemies and new aquaintances to his living wake. Word cannot do this film justice. I was grinning the whole way through and can't wait to see it again. Reviews for both are on Film Threat (http://www.filmthreat.com).

I've hit a few parties and they're fun and just outrageous. A few times I've found myself in the cabanas at the Palms which is where all the rich celebs go to party. I'm constantly feeling like I don't belong but free drinks make me feel a little more at home. I haven't gambled much, although I did get a little sucked in Thursday night after Mark called it a night. But I only dropped a little over $100.

Todays my last day and then I'm out which is good and bad. This festival is weird in that it's backloaded. There's a bunch of great stuff now but later in the week there's three tributes (Chalize Theron, Anothony Hopkins and Ben Kingsley) and some bigger premieres. But I really don't think I could last much longer financially or physically. Everything is expensive here. I guess I'm nore of a Reno/Tahoe guy than a Vegas guy. But, I am now and will forever more be a Cinevegas guy!

No comments: