Thursday, December 08, 2005

It was twenty (five) years ago today....


John Lennon
Originally uploaded by dlew022.
that John Lennon was shot and killed. I know it's cliche to tell your "Where were you when...." story, but I'm doing it anyway. I was 8 or 9 years old and we were living in the armpit of California, Orland. I DISTINCTLY remember this all so clearly....

I was trying to go to sleep and the phone rang. My mom answered and all of the sudden she was crying and really upset. Being the little momma's boy I was, I started getting upset because my mom was upset. I started yelling to her...trying to figure out what was wrong. I was afraid my Grandpa had died or something.

She came into my room and told me that someone had shot John Lennon. This stunned me. I grew up on the Beatles as one of my Aunts was a total hippie and the other one really loved the Beatles. My mom was a fan although she used to say she never forgave them for breaking up...she even gave all her Beatles records to my Aunt. I remember spending hours at my Aunts house, making her play me Beatles records while I rifled through her Beatles memorabilia. I remember being scared of John Lennon because he was frequently naked in many of his photos. Yuck.

Anyway...the news of John being killed....by someone else...on purpose...knocked me for a loop. I couldn't grasp why anyone would hurt such a great person. I started to cry (but admittedly, mostly because my mom was crying) and still to this day....I don't understand.

But I went
here
and talked to John and you should too. I miss you John.

No comments: