Monday, January 02, 2006

Someone kick my ass



Awake ot 5:45 a.m. on a holiday? Ugh. I can't help it, I couldn't sleep. I had a weird dream that I lost my front tooth and couldn't find it anywhere, then I realized I totally left A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE off my Top Ten. Even worse (aside from the fact this woke me up) was that I saw this movie twice and got more out of it the second time through.

A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE belongs in my top 5 and we'll just put it at say......3.5. It's such an exciting and complex movie...you really do need to see it twice. That's not to say it's not great the first time through, because it is. One major thing I noticed about the movie (MINOR SPOLIERS HERE) is that it's really two 45 minute movies that act as a whole. The first half is before the Viggo character is driven to act violently, and the second half is life after that. How it affects his family and him. In fact, the film kind of repeats itself in a darker, more busted up way in the second half. Many of the same events happen again (the son gets bullied, an intense sex scene, etc) but they play out much differently once violence is introduced.

Anyway, an awesome film and I can't believe I left it off. Enjoy your day....I should crash around 3:00 p.m. and then screw up my sleep pattern for the rest of the week. Wheee......

No comments: