Sunday, January 01, 2006

TOP TEN MOVIES OF 2005...PART ONE


I’ll tell ya what…..I just can’t make up my mind on my top 10 movies for the year. I’ve been chewing it over and over in my head and, I have a group of movies I really like, but I’m having a hard time placing them 1-10. I’m just going to go for it though because it’s silly to waste time thinking about it any longer. Just know that the top 3 ones are fairly interchangeable depending on my mood that day. So….with no more slacking off….I present my Top Ten Movies for 2005!!

10. THE SQUID AND THE WHALE
I had originally ranked this film in my top 5 then made the mistake of reading Armond White’s piece about how “smug” a movie it is. While I think Armond White is an insane genius….he got me thinking and he was right. The movie is kind of too smug for it’s own good. However, I really, really like Noah Baumbach (the writer/director) and it is a really good movie. Note to self: Don’t read what critics write…ever.

9. BROKEN FLOWERS
Such a good movie that people just didn’t “get.” I think people though that a Bill Murray movie with Jessica Lange and Sharon Stone would be some ha-ha funny movie about middle aged people coming to grips with life. Well, BROKEN FLOWERS is actually an art film mixed with film noir mixed with comedy and drama. Good stuff.

8. BATMAN BEGINS
Yay!! Someone got it RIGHT! Perfect casting (aside from Katie Holmes), awesome story and great direction from Christopher Nolan. Just a fun, intense, interesting, action packed movie. Can’t wait for the next one….rumor has it Phillip Seymore Hoffman might play the Penguin!

7. JESUS IS MAGIC/THE COMEDIANS OF COMEDY
Yes, I took the easy way out and tied these 2 for #7. Sue me. JESUS IS MAGIC was one of the most offensive and funny movies I’ve ever seen. Plus I have a major crush on Sarah Silverman. She’s so hot and funny…sigh. I heart her.

THE COMEDIANS OF COMEDY is another kind of stand-up act/documentary and it’s hysterical. The movie follows comedians Patton Oswalt, Maria Bamford, Brian Posehn and the (brilliant) Zach Galifinakis on a comedy tour. The stand up stuff is really funny but just seeing these people play off one another is more funny. It’s out on DVD so check it out!

6. GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK
Such a great movie. Not only does it cover one of the nastiest incidents the U.S. government has ever done to our people (the communist witch hunt) it also seems incredibly relevant today. Our news media has become entertainment and that’s not what it’s supposed to do. I hope people catch this film on DVD and demand our media ask the tough questions….they simply have to.

Coming next...the Top 5....

No comments: